Re: [o-info] Re: [ccp4bb]: Mac OSX file system

I am definitely not an ardent SMB devotee, but I must set the record
straight that SMB is not windows. SMB is an open source fileserver protocol.
M$ adopted and borrowed from smb because it is a solid protocol. Its open
source heritage also means that M$ can't screw it up with a bunch of
proprietary baloney. I will certify for you that smb is not a pain for unix
clients--actually, in my experience, it is much friendlier to clients than
NFS.

That being said, OpenAFS as you have described it does seem worth looking
into--i.e. this is not a flame.

James

> I would have thought doing things the Windows way (ie SMB) is a major
> pain in the butt for all UNIX clients...?
>
> What we do here, and what I'd recommend for those struggling with these
> problems, is to set up AFS.  OpenAFS comes for free these days, and the
> clients just work on all UNIX platforms, incl. OSX, and on Windows.

"Research: If it worked the first time,
they would just call it 'search'."     -Roy Garcia
 James C. Stroud
 University of Colorado at Boulder
 Boulder, CO 80309

 Tel: 303-492-4503      Fax: 303-735-1347