Re: [ccp4bb]: Re: [cnsbb] OSX: a great Linux alternative. ButStereo? (fwd)

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 rams@poori.biochem.uiowa.edu wrote:

> I tried compiling programs in OSX using g77 and the programs are awfully
> slow.  The results I get are nowhere close to what I understand from
> apples advertisements.  I am told that to use the features of the velocity
> engine, I will need to buy a compiler.  IF this is true, is there a
> compiler of choice for crystallographers and what is the price and how
> important is that....

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2002/04/05/altivec.html

The AltiVec difference
by Craig Hunter

"one of the coolest aspects of AltiVec is that anyone can experiment with
it quite easily; the C compiler included as part of Apple's OS X Developer
tools has AltiVec support built right in."

http://www.apple.com/developer/

cheers,

"You can trust me, because I'm in the news media"  -- Dave Barry
                        David J. Schuller
                        modern man in a post-modern world
                        MacCHESS, Cornell University
                        djs63@cornell.edu