Re: [ccp4bb]: Re: [cnsbb] OSX: a great Linux alternative. But Stereo? (fwd)

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, David J. Schuller wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 rams@poori.biochem.uiowa.edu wrote:
>
> > I tried compiling programs in OSX using g77 and the programs are awfully
> > slow.  The results I get are nowhere close to what I understand from

g77 with equivalent optimization as on RH or SUSE Linux, and using more or
less equivalent versions of g77 (and gcc) gives comparably fast processing
with Mosflm. However, getting the code to optimize with g77 is a lot
harder than with the commercial compilers on Tru64 and Irix (but the
effort's worth it). BTW, OSX downloads of mosflm are now third in
popularity after PC Linux and SGI, so someone must be using it.

> "one of the coolest aspects of AltiVec is that anyone can experiment with
> it quite easily; the C compiler included as part of Apple's OS X Developer
> tools has AltiVec support built right in."

(thinks - I must investigate this...)

Harry
--
Dr Harry Powell, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, MRC Centre, Hills
Road, Cambridge, CB2 2QH