Re: [ccp4bb]: CCP4 4.2 with Intel Compilers

On Tue, 21 May 2002, James Stroud wrote:

<snipped>
> There was a nice mailing a couple of months ago from Kay Diederichs
> mentioning that the new CCP4 version will be able to compile with the Intel
> compilers, but nothing more has been mentioned (unless of course I missed it
> when perusing the CCP4 pages).

Support for Intel compilers was intended to be included in configure for
CCP4 4.2 however time constraints meant that it was omitted. The options
will be included in a patch release (4.2.1) which should be made next
month, apologies for the delay.

I'm afraid I can't comment on the relative merits of the precompiled
binaries versus building the suite yourself, beyond the rather obvious
point that build-it-yourself gives you the option of customising the
suite e.g. by choice of optimisation etc. Whether one sees this as an
advantage or as a drawback depends on one's opinion of the CCP4 build
procedure ... ;-)

Hope this helps, best wishes

Peter.

Peter J Briggs, pjx@ccp4.ac.uk   Tel: +44 1925 603826
CCP4,           ccp4@ccp4.ac.uk  Fax: +44 1925 603825
                http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/
Daresbury Laboratory, Daresbury, Warrington   WA4 4AD