Re: [ccp4bb]: Data reduction for mosaic crystals....

On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Ricardo Aparicio wrote:

> We've processed data with slices of 0.2 deg with MOSFLM without problems.
>
> A reference on super-fine phi-sliced diffraction:
>
> J. Appl. Cryst. (2000). 33, 1187-1188
> J. Lovelace, E. H. Snell, M. Pokross, A. S. Arvai, C. Nielsen, N.-H.
> Xuong, H. D. Bellamy and G. E. O. Borgstahl

> > I am working on a dataset where the crystal has a very high mosaicity
> > - my estimate is ~2.0 or more. Hence, I have had to take
> > 0.1deg frames during data collection.

The author of d*Trek (Jim Pflugrath) has written a very readable paper on
this topic (from his talk at a CCP4 Study Weekend);

Acta Cryst. (1999). D55, 1718-1725: 'The finer things in X-ray diffraction
data collection'.

If you are using CCP4 programs, I'd certainly recommend having a go at
processing your data with Mosflm (but I would say that, wouldn't I?),
which is able to process partials spread over many images. Mosflm is now
distributed with the CCP4 suite. If you aren't using CCP4, I'd recommend
that you should!

Harry
--
Dr Harry Powell, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, MRC Centre, Hills
Road, Cambridge, CB2 2QH