Re: [ccp4bb]: Length of filenames in ccp4i

Dear Mischa

Sorry to hear about your problems, and that you weren't satisfied by the
response that you recieved when you contacted us last month.

To address your concerns: there is no limit on the length of file names
in CCP4i, and any such limits which you encounter will be coded into the
actual programs.

To clarify: file names supplied via the command line (e.g. <progname>
HKLIN <filename>.mtz etc) are normally limited to 255 characters by the
CCP4 library; this limit is set in the file-opening subroutine CCPOPN.

I understand that the 60 character limit is in fact a problem
specifically for programs where filenames are supplied via the keyworded
script (for example the MODEL keyword in BEAST) rather than on the
command line. This is a limit set in the CCP4 library subroutine PARSER,
which reads the keywords.

Following the reports of problems with this limit after the release of
CCP4 4.2, the limit has been increased to 255 in order to be consistent
with that used for the command line. This change will be available in
future releases of CCP4, and was posted on the CCP4 problems page (see
http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/problems.html#4.2-libs).

If this doesn't work for you then please send us specific examples so
that we can investigate further.

Once again I apologise if you were unsatisfied with the response you
recieved from us previously. We work hard to address people's problems
and to ensure that the suite functions correctly, and so I hope you will
allow us some latitude if we sometimes get it wrong.

Thanks & best wishes

Peter.

On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, Mischa Machius wrote:

> Hi y'all,
>
> This is not strictly a CCP4BB-related issue, but I tried to contact
> the CCP4 developers about this and didn't get an answer (I was told
> this would happen, but gave it a try anyway).
>
> The issue is with the length of filenames in ccp4i. The length
> appears to be limited to 60 characters. In our computing environment,
> we easily exceed this number. I have heard the same complaint from
> different people, so I assume this is a widespread problem. Getting
> this error is a complete turn-off what concerns using ccp4i. We
> believe there is no reason to restrict filenames, so we ask if it is
> possible to have this changed in a future (hopefully not too distant)
> release of ccp4i.
>
> As always, I apologize in case I just don't know how to use the
> interface. If so, please let me know what it is.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mischa
>
> --
> Mischa Machius, PhD
> Assistant Professor
> University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
> Department of Biochemistry
> 5323 Harry Hines Blvd.                                Tel: +1 214 648 9760
> L4.250                                                Fax: +1 214 648 8954
> Dallas, TX 75390-9038, U.S.A.     Email: Mischa.Machius@UTSouthwestern.edu

Peter J Briggs, pjx@ccp4.ac.uk   Tel: +44 1925 603826
CCP4,           ccp4@ccp4.ac.uk  Fax: +44 1925 603825
                http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/
Daresbury Laboratory, Daresbury, Warrington   WA4 4AD