[ccp4bb]: Length of filenames in ccp4i

Hi y'all,

This is not strictly a CCP4BB-related issue, but I tried to contact
the CCP4 developers about this and didn't get an answer (I was told
this would happen, but gave it a try anyway).

The issue is with the length of filenames in ccp4i. The length
appears to be limited to 60 characters. In our computing environment,
we easily exceed this number. I have heard the same complaint from
different people, so I assume this is a widespread problem. Getting
this error is a complete turn-off what concerns using ccp4i. We
believe there is no reason to restrict filenames, so we ask if it is
possible to have this changed in a future (hopefully not too distant)
release of ccp4i.

As always, I apologize in case I just don't know how to use the
interface. If so, please let me know what it is.

Thanks,

Mischa

Mischa Machius, PhD
Assistant Professor
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Department of Biochemistry
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.                                Tel: +1 214 648 9760
L4.250                                                Fax: +1 214 648 8954
Dallas, TX 75390-9038, U.S.A.     Email: Mischa.Machius@UTSouthwestern.edu