RE: [ccp4bb]: scripting

Learn Python!

It is already directly supported by useful packages such as VMD, PyMOL, PMV, Chimera, and MMTK as well as development projects like Birdwash, CCP43D, and PHENIX.  In my opinion, Python has already emerged as the preferred the language for structural biology and computational chemistry, just as Perl long ago emerged as the de facto language for bioinformatics and web development.

Most will agree that we all stand to benefit by switching from away from shell scripts and application-specific languages to standard, well-known scripting languages.

While Perl would be a fine choice, Python is easier for novices to learn, has better support for multi-dimensional objects (atoms, bonds, coordinates), and is better for code sharing because it is so simple, obvious, and consistent.

So just learn Python -- it will help your Science as well as your graphics.

And who knows?  Maybe it will even inspire you to write an open-source script, module, or program in your spare time.  It does have that effect upon some of us...

--
mailto:warren@sunesis.com
Warren L. DeLano, Ph.D.