Re: [ccp4bb]: R-sym I/sigI etc...

Unless something is seriously wrong, like the R-factors are high even in
the lower resolution shells, the R-factor is dominated at high resolution
by the denominator, i.e., the F's are weak so the R's are high.  That's
why the chi^2 are a better measure of precision.

I never independently judge the reliability of a data set by just looking
at the R's.  I do see R's that are very high, greater than 50%, in the
higher resolution shells, and don't worry about it, so long as the chi^2
are fairly uniform throughout the data set.

I also don't agree that the chi^2's should be equal to one.  That's
assuming zero systematic bias in the data sets, and that's rarely the
case.  I typically know more about the beamline and detector that I
collected data at, and inflate the error scale to a reasonable value based
upon experience.   If I wasn't so lazy, I'd collect a great data set on
something that freezes and diffracts well, and determine a reasonable
value for the error scale directly.  (It would be great if the beamline
scientists did this.)  This is analogous to the "ignorance factor" or
"instability constant" that many of us used with diffractometer data to
inflate estimated standard errors in the data (using redundant data).

Bernie Santarsiero