RE: [ccp4bb]: New X-ray source? - or Summer silly season?

It is possible, although nontrivial. Collegues from Physics and I
actually have a patent on a Compton - type source with
focussing micro-optics.

A few thoughts are in

Three-Dimensional Theory of Emittance in Compton Scattering and X-ray
Protein Crystallography. F.V. Hartemann, H.A. Baldis, A. K. Kerman, A.
Le Foll, N.C. Luhmann, Jr,  and B. Rupp. Phys Rev E 64: 16501 (2000)
http://www-structure.llnl.gov/pdf/PRE_uMAD.pdf

but there is not much about the implementation details in it.

BR