[ccp4bb]: Micromax Generator

A number of people have written to me asking about the micromax 007.

Let me detail our experience thus far.

Its actually quite noisy the water cooler makes a racket but the machine
is quiet.

Its foot print is quite tidy and there is not a mass of boxes etc.

I cant comment on reliability yet. Although it is very easy to operate
and the controls are late 20th century (big advance). Water and power
requirements are much lower.

Now the beam!
It is great. In two problem cases (crap xtals) the 007 pushed data to
2.7 (ESRF 2.4, RU200 3.2 - 3.5) and a very small xtal 2.1 (ERSF 1.9
RU-200 3.0).
In summary too project which we always had to go to the ESRF now are do
able in house. Not only does it save on sleep but is saves on petrol.

The R-merges are very low.

I will try to put images on our web sites.

I notice the spot shape is beautiful and reminds me of synchrotron data.
There seems to be very good signal to noise. We use the mirrors MSC
recommend.

To this point, Garry Taylor and I think it significantly outperforms the
RU generator in every way style, size, ease of use and beam intensity.
The data are so much better.

I will try to email more details as we accumulate more results. Thus far
I'd say like Dominoes it delivers.

I of course make no comment on any other system. This is a comparison
between RU MSC generator and 007 MSC generator.

Best
Jim

James H. Naismith                | Research mailto:naismith@st-and.ac.uk
Professor of Chemical Biology    | Teaching mailto:jhn@st-and.ac.uk
BBSRC Career Development Fellow  |
Centre for Biomolecular Sciences | Office: 1334-463792 (24 hr)
The North Haugh                  | Fax   : 1334-467229
The University                   | Lab   : 1334-467245
St. Andrews                      | In UK     add  0 to start of number
Fife Scotland, U.K., KY16 9ST    | www     http://speedy.st-and.ac.uk/