Re: [ccp4bb]: Bulk solvent model in REFMAC

On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Mark A. White wrote:

> this happen?  In the second case, a moderate resolution structure (2.7
> A) with five-fold NCS was refined with one TLS domain per chain.  The
> B-factors dropped and a large fraction of them were pinned at 2, when
> the default Bbulk value of 200 was used.  I have tried varying the Bbulk

B factors being pinned to 2 (the minimum allowed) is usually
a sign that the TLS refinement has gone awry. Look at the TLS
parameters. The size of L parameters depends on the size of
the TLS group, but if you have diagonal L elements over 100
for molecule-sized groups then be suspicious ....

This can happen if the electron density is poorly defined,
and/or the model is only partially built. In which case,
restrict the TLS group to the well-defined sections, or
refrain from TLS until the model has progressed.

The link with Bbulk is interesting and I don't have a simple
rationalisation for it. But from a practical point of view,
you might not need to fix Bbulk but can let it refine to
an appropriate value.

Cheers
Martyn

*                  Dr. Martyn Winn                                       *
*      Daresbury Laboratory, Daresbury, Warrington, WA4 4AD, ENGLAND     *
*      Tel: +44 1925 603455    E-mail: m.d.winn@dl.ac.uk (personal)      *
*      Fax: +44 1925 603124    E-mail: ccp4@dl.ac.uk  (CCP4 problems)    *
*          URL: http://www.dl.ac.uk/CCP/CCP4/martyn/martyn.html          *