[ccp4bb]: Security, Firewalls etc.

Not really CCP4, but is there a consensus about the appropriate level of
security for a PX lab? We had someone use our RAID server to try and
launch attacks on various people (such as the US treasury) and to
re-distribute mp3 files. The University disconnected us 'till we sort out
the problem.
Do you all have firewalls or rely on keeping your operating systems up to
date? Is Smoothwall on a PC enough? How much will it cost, and how easy
is it to set up? How do you manage to log in and ftp data from
synchrotrons without allowing in hackers?

Any help/advice appreciated, Peter

  Peter Moody
  Department of Biochemistry            Direct Line +44 (0)116 2523366
  Adrian Building                       FAX +44 (0)116 2523473
  University of Leicester               http://www.le.ac.uk/biochem/staff/pcem1/pcem1.html
  University Road                       X-ray lab http://www.le.ac.uk/by/pcem1/
  Leicester.
  LE1 7RH   UK