Re: [ccp4bb]: Security, Firewalls etc.

Everything Kevin said, plus:

Operate under the assumption that either a nefarious evildoer or a fire
will eventually get to your computer.  Do backups regularly, preferably
incremental ones to a remote computer (ie., another building) daily.
Then for the most crucial stuff, copy to a CD, DVD or external drive and
take it home with you and stick it in a firesafe.  The higher the
multiplicity of your backups, the more likely you will survive the
inevitable disaster intact.  Remember, those who are really good at
breaking in never get detected..., or, to quote Henry Kissinger, "It is
when you stop being paranoid; that's when they get you."

Bill Scott

On Friday, August 30, 2002, at 07:30 AM, Dr Peter C E Moody wrote:

> Not really CCP4, but is there a consensus about the appropriate level of
> security for a PX lab? We had someone use our RAID server to try and
> launch attacks on various people (such as the US treasury) and to
> re-distribute mp3 files. The University disconnected us 'till we sort
> out
> the problem.
> Do you all have firewalls or rely on keeping your operating systems up
> date? Is Smoothwall on a PC enough? How much will it cost, and how easy
> is it to set up? How do you manage to log in and ftp data from
> synchrotrons without allowing in hackers?
>
> Any help/advice appreciated, Peter
>

>   Peter Moody
>   Department of Biochemistry            Direct Line +44 (0)116 2523366
>   Adrian Building                       FAX +44 (0)116 2523473
>   University of Leicester
> http://www.le.ac.uk/biochem/staff/pcem1/pcem1.html
>   University Road                       X-ray lab
> http://www.le.ac.uk/by/pcem1/
>   Leicester.
>   LE1 7RH   UK

William G. Scott

Associate Professor
and The Center for the Molecular Biology of RNA
Sinsheimer Laboratories
University of California at Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz, California 95064
USA