Re: [ccp4bb]: measure circumference

This is an interesting problem that my XTM Crystal Modules
package might be able to handle.  XTM is a set of add-on
molecular modelling and crystallography modules
for the free, open-source visualization package OpenDX (www.opendx.org)
I haven't formally announced their availability mainly because I have no
time
or funding to support external users. If you are interested, I might be
able to
try a quick experiment however. My suggestion would be to intersect a
molecular surface with a plane and measure the circumference of the
resulting curves using the Measure module. The complication is that
molecular
surfaces contain internal cavities. You would have to get rid of them by
either
choosing a large solvent probe radius or some other method.

For those who are interested in trying something different,
XTM can be downloaded from bridgedec.chess.cornell.edu via anonymous
ftp.  There is some basic support for viewing and indexing
crystallographic data via DPS,
but the package's main use is molecular modeling. You can download some
of the movies
I have made with it from my web site
(www.staff.chess.cornell.edu/~richard). Most recently
using it to process SAXS data. Readers for CCD images,  CNS-style
electron density maps
and coordinate formats (pdb, mol2) are available. The package requires
OpenDX (www.opendx.org), which is a separate installation.
Alternatively, XTM is available on CD by Visualization and Imagery
Solutions Inc. (www.vizsolutions.com) as part of their well-maintained
OpenDX distro. The package runs on Linux, MacOS X, Windows (untested),
DEC, SGI and other Unix platforms.  I'll put out a more complete
official announcement sometime this Fall when the code goes up on
public CVS.

Richard Gillilan
MacCHESS, Cornell