[ccp4bb]: Summary: strange NCS/refinement problem

I have received total 16 replies to my inquiry. Many thanks to
everyone who replied!

In brief, I described a case of apparent inapplicability of NCS
during refinement where NCS-related molecules behave as if they
were very different. I asked what I might be doing wrong and
how to deal with such situation properly. (Complete original
text can be found in the end of this message).

The general consensus in replies was that most likely this is
a genuine case of a global disorder for one of the molecules
in the AU. Such cases frequently manifest themselves by a
packing where "loose" molecule makes less contacts with
others, so looking at packing arrangement is advised. Doing
tests to make sure that the second molecule is actually
present was recommended too (see below).

Almost everyone agreed that whenever a compelling point for
a disorder in NCS-related molecule(s) is made, generally the
best way to go is to use TLS refinement [with Refmac].
Several refs that dealt specifically with such problem and
used TLS approach were provided:
	J Biol Chem, 2002, 277(16):14077-84
	Acta Crystallogr D, 2000, 56 (Pt 3):313-21
	J Biol Chem, 2001, 276(29):27555-61

Several people pointed out that high Vm (6.3 in my case) is
not by itself a good indication that there is more than one
molecule per AU. In some cases, Vm as high as 7.5 has
been observed (Structure, 1998, 6(9):1105-16). Several
options to find out of there is more than one molecule
per AU were mentioned:
	- Refine "good" molecule as good as possible, then
leave the second one out and see of the density for it
comes back.
	- Run ARP/wARP or Resolve in "prime and switch" mode
presenting them with only "good" molecule. See if they are
able to pick a second molecule and see if the NCS operators
are the same as ones in MR solution. (I have done this
previously - both programs picked and correctly positioned
couple most conserved parts of the protein with ARP
generally doing much better job at it).
	- Do a self-rotation function search and see if
there are indeed additional significant peaks appearing.
	- With a "good" molecule fixed, repeat MR
looking for a second one; in addition to Molrep, try using
other programs like EPMR, Como, AmoRe, see if the results
are consistent with each other.

Finally, a possibility of misindexing was mentioned. Trying
to scale as P1 and seeing how things refine then was an option
in my case.

Once again, thanks.

Dima