Re: [ccp4bb]: writing out in CCP4 format

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002, A. Naim wrote:

> I am trying to compress a 3D map and would therefore need to do the
> following:
> (1) read in the original map in CCP4 format
> (2) manipulate the map data to reduce its size
> (3) write out a new file with the same format and an updated header (to
> reflect change in size).
>
> For steps (1) and (3) I need to know the exact specification of the CCP4
> format. Can anyone point me to such a spec?

what do you mean by "compress"?  Do you want to reduce the volume covered
by the map?  Or do you want to scale the map values?  In either case, you
could use existing program 'mapmask'.

if it is something else you are trying to do,
you can find complete documentation on the CCP4 map format and the map
library subroutines in the CCP4 documentation, look for 'maplib'.
you could also examine the source code for mapmask and other programs in
the $CPROG directory and the source code for the CCP4 map library routines
in directory $CLIBS.

cheers,

"Being a true scientist, Ralph wanted to make his own dangerous experiments."
                                                      - Hugo Gernsback
                        David J. Schuller
                        modern man in a post-modern world
                        MacCHESS, Cornell University