Re: [ccp4bb]: p61 vs p65 flipped

hay.dvir@weizmann.ac.il wrote:

> Dear Ed,
>
> > I'm trying to find Se sites in MAD data from crystals of space group p61 or
> > p65. I was under the impression that the Patterson maps should be the same
> > for both and that I therefore only needed to solve the Pattersons once.
> > Experimental Patterson maps from peak data look the same for both. However,
> > Solve is giving me different solutions for p61 compared with p65.
>
>         Difference patterson map should look the same, since the Fourier
> coefficients in the patterson  function are being squared. Therefore, from
> the patterson you get two equivalent substructure solutions related to
> each other by inversion.
>         In most programs you should try both solutions to phase your
> protein amplitudes. However, SOLVE has a built in automated routine to
> guess the correct hand of your substructure. Thus, for a given space group
> you provide with SOLVE you would get only one solution which probably
> corresponds to the correct hand (as much as solve could guess) of the
> substructure. However, if one of the space group you gave p61 or p65 are
> correct, you should expect significantly different phase statistics and
> maps.

 Actually phase statistics are the same for eaither P61 or P65 providing
the solutions correspond..

Maps look different though and all scoring systems will reflect this..

Eleanor J.Dodson, York Structural Biology Laboratory,
                  Chemistry Department,
                  University of York, Y01 5DD Heslington, U.K.
Tel: Work: +44 (1904) 32 82 53  Home +44 (1904) 42 44 49