Re: [ccp4bb]: Batch quese submission using CCP4i/ARP

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 22:02, Steve Litster wrote:

> Has anyone used the CCP4i/ARP, remote/batch submission option in an LSF
> environment?

I thought that someone else may have answered this by now - seems not...

Currently, there is no batch queueing system support in ccp4i (and
AFAIK, ARP/wARP).  You can however, use remote job submission from these
using rsh.  (Indeed ARP/wARP will try to parallelize the jobs).

Some CCP4 developers expressed some reservations at using rsh as a long
term solution (due to security reasons).  Instead ssh was suggested.
Howver, using ssh (it seems to me) lays considerable administrative
burden on the user - perhaps too much.

AFAIK, there are no ccp4 programs/tasks that support parallelization -
so there has not been any need for a batch system [*].  This may change
in the future.  If you have practical acquaintance of batch systems,
then some ccp4 developers may well be interested in your experiences.

(Of course it goes without saying that MPI and PVM are not used)

(Currently :)

HTH,

Paul.

[*] well, we used a batch system everyday when there were VAXes, but
that is not what I mean here.