Re: [ccp4bb]: beast

On Thursday 07 November 2002 18:48, Daniele de Sanctis wrote:

> i'm trying to use beast to make a molecular replacement with a polyala
> model, and i need a few advices to understand the output: which is a
> good value for the LLG? and what is consider a cluster and a member?

I can't really tell you what is a good value for the LLG.  First, to put it
on a scale that could be compared among different problems, it would have to
be LLG/reflection.  Second, the LLG to expect depends on what is being
tested, and how precisely you'd expect to be able to explain the data.  To be
more specific, if you're carrying out a rotation search the probability
distribution is broader than for a translation search because of the extra
uncertainty introduced by unknown relative phase angles of the contributions
of symmetry-related molecules.  In a rotation search, higher symmetry leads
to flatter probability distributions (more contributions with unknown
relative phases) and lower LLG scores.  In any molecular replacement search,
model incompleteness and model error also lead to lower LLG values.  What we
really need, to tell what is a good LLG score, is a statistical analysis of
the probability distributions for LLG scores for correct solutions and
incorrect solutions, but this is a complicated problem.

The bottom line is that, at the moment, the best we have to go on is some
general rules of thumb.  First, the LLG should be positive, because it
measures how much better we can predict the data than if we use the Wilson
distribution (i.e. our structure contains atoms in random positions); if it's
negative, our model is worse than random.  (If that happens in a search,
increase the assumed RMS error or think again about model completeness.)
Second, there should be good signal to noise between the highest LLG and the
mean LLG for the whole search.  Values greater than 5 sigma are a good sign,
but the best score may be around 4 sigma for difficult rotation searches.
Third, there should be good contrast between the top (hopefully correct)
solution and the next highest solution.  A difference greater than 1 sigma
gives me confidence, but even 0.5 sigma is reasonable.  Third, the LLG should
increase as you make your model of the crystal structure more detailed, i.e.
as you go from a rotation to a translation search, or as you add more
molecules.

In difficult cases, the correct orientation may not give the highest LLG
score, but in anything I've been able to solve the correct orientation was
near the top.  (Of course, that may reflect on how slow Beast is, because I
can never afford the computing time to carry out a full translation search
for, say, 100 or 1000 orientations!)  So, unless the answer from a rotation
search is unambiguous, it's a good idea to carry out a translation search
with several orientations.

On the specific point of using a poly-Ala model:  I tend not to trim the
model down, on the principle that the side-chain atoms will be close to
something in the true structure, even if the side chains are different.  But
if you do trim the model, then you should remember that you are making your
model less complete, and adjust the completeness parameter accordingly.

The clustering algorithm is basically a simple peak-picking procedure.  The
LLG scores are sorted, then the solution with the top LLG score represents
the first cluster.  We go down the list, and anything that is sufficiently
similar to something higher in the list becomes a member of the same cluster.
Anything that isn't similar to something higher in the list represents a new
cluster.

I hope that answers your questions.

--

Randy J. Read
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge