Re: [ccp4bb]: Comments on ligands

On Friday 15 November 2002 19:06, Phil Evans wrote:

> On the question of depositing structure factors, this should be
> compulsory (why isn't it?). There is no excuse for not depositing
> them, and the most likely person to want them is you yourself.

Dear Gerard and Phil,

I think that in addition to deposit observed structure factors there is also a
need to deposit the calculated structure factors _exactly_ as they came out
of the scaling/refinement for the reported R-factors of the model. The reason
for this is that if somebody takes the deposited model and the deposited
observed structure factors and does not apply the proper anisotropic scaling,
bulk solvent correction and weighting, the difference map will show features
that are not consistent with the model. For that reason, personally, I still
hesitate to publish observed structure factors until I can easily deposit the
calculated structure factors and their phases _along_ with them. In
principle, agree with both of you that these are data that should be
published, but I must admit that I shy away from this until I can easily
publish all the data.

Best regards,

Dirk.

Dirk Kostrewa