[ccp4bb]: Deposition of Fcalc

Dear Dirk,

I think the desire to deposit your own calculated structure factors is
perhaps wishing to exert too much control over your data. While not
disputing that researcher X may have done a very good job of refining
their structure, the freedom that researcher Y has to use another
refinement program and/or combination of corrections and weights may
well lead to an alternative interpretation of ambiguous density. The
info in the PDB header should be enough to reconstruct the maps as you
made them, or am I being naive?

In the spirit of "you never know when it might come in handy", why not
encourage the deposition of data with anomalous information (even
unmerged?), even if it was not used in the original experiment, since as
Eleanor and others frequently point out, many atoms have some anomalous
signals at wavelengths far from their edges and someone some day might
be interested in this. Then, since we are talking orders of magnitude
larger storage space, we might just as well have Fcalc in there as
well ;-)

Perhaps the main question is whether anyone apart from "structure
police" (apologies to Gerard!) will bother to use other people's data,
given that we're so busy with our own stuff. I've been meaning to look
at an old deposited data set for weeks now butnever got round to it. In
any case the possibility should be there in the deposition.

Derek
--
Derek Logan             tel: +46 46 222 1443
Molecular Biophysics    fax: +46 46 222 4692