Re: [ccp4bb]: structure factors etc

Hi Phil, Eleanor et al.

The main problem is this:  Who will do the compelling?  Currently each
of the major journals has its own policy regarding deposition of
coordinates, and having accidently put one to the test a couple of
years ago while distracted with a sick baby, I can state that there is
no apparent follow-up mechanism to check whether someone actually does
what they say they will do.  (Maybe if someone else had caught it
first, and complained, my experience would have been different.)

Perhaps it might therefore be more practical for us to tell the
journals we won't referee a paper until we are provided with the data
to do so (and perhaps also a letter signed by the authors agreeing to
deposit the data).  In the case of MIR structures, I think at least the
solvent-flattened phases should also be made available; perhaps even
the initial MIR phases.  We all have learned that phases are at least
as important as amplitudes, and MIR phases are still better quality
control than even the best SigmaA maps.

Someone suggested Wilson plots, but these won't help much with a 3A
structure, which presumably we are more worried about that one with 1.2
A resolution and therefore more valid Wilson statistics.  Besides, if
you have the Fobs, you can make your own Wilson plot.

I (perhaps regrettably) started this by trying to argue that with
similar ideas, one could argue the need for open source code in
crystallography.  This wasn't meant as an argument against depositing
the data!

All the best,

Bill Scott