Re: [ccp4bb]: "No CA" Petition

On Saturday 07 December 2002 2:36 pm, Charlie Bond wrote:

> Gerard DVD Kleywegt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The petition (to be sent to RCSB and IUCr) for the abolishment of CA-only
> > models can still be signed on the web page:
> >
> >     http://xray.bmc.uu.se/cgi-bin/gerard/no_ca_petition.pl
>
> Gerard,
>

> What we have to ensure is that the data being deposited in the PDB
> represent the data described in the publication in full. This disclosure
> is the 'cost' of publication, and all who publish should share this cost
> proportionally.

 I absolutely agree with this - if your figures show side chains, then they
should be deposited.

> The difficult question is how the disclosure of data is enforced. Is it
> the PDB's job?, the journals' job?, IUCr?, referees?, funding bodies?

 The journals already do some sort of policing - to see that if you do give a
PDB identifier it is actually in existence. And I believe American funding
agencies do the same.

Would it help if the ID gave a quick indication of what type of information
has been deposited?
Eleanor Dodson