Re: [ccp4bb]: B factors

gina clayton wrote:

> Hi
>
> we (postdocs) are having a discussion in our lab about structures that
> are published with high B factors ( including in the wilson value) along
> the protein backbone and the legitimacy of these structures. We have
> seen several papers that base their arguments on specific amino acid
> interactions and yet the structures have Bfactors 70 + up to even
> 180......A recent one had an average B factor of 68 ( 60 for solvent)
> and wilson  value of 59 at 2.5 angstrom. Perhaps not the worst
> example.....but.....So I guess we would like some advice as to what is
> the current opinion about B factors, resolution and good structures?
>
> regards

 I believe if your structure only diffracts to 2.8 you must have B
factors of more than 50, probably higher.

 The quality of any structure depends on the ratio of experimental data
to parameters - low usualy if you have 2.8A data without averaging - not
the B factors of the residues..

 Eleanor
Eleanor J.Dodson, York Structural Biology Laboratory,
                  Chemistry Department,
                  University of York, Y01 5DD Heslington, U.K.
Tel: Work: +44 (1904) 32 82 53  Home +44 (1904) 42 44 49