[ccp4bb]: Re: [o-info] "No Ca" petition - further clarification

I have signed the petition today (I want to be the LAST person to sign
:-)). However, I would actually prefer a petition for the RCSB to be more
serious on the REALLY IMPORTANT topic: deposition of STRUCTURE FACTORS and
PHASES. If these were available, we didn't need to discuss silly stuff
like CA-only models. After all, a molecular model is only an
interpretation. Have 100 crystallographers deposit the same
model-coordinates and you will get 100 different models.

The structure factors is the most objective result of the experiment, and
THIS IS WHAT SHOULD BE DEPOSITED. Nevertheless, the RCSB as well as the
scientific journals are extremely callous about this valuable data.
Although it is available (about 60% deposit the data) it is in a state of
disarray, and there is no policy on what should be deposited. Experimental
phases (HK coefficients) are in general NOT available.

In the future, auto-building procedures may be so efficient, that no-one
will ever look at the 19551 models deposited < 2003. People will just run
the newest autobuild program on the structure factors and get the model of
the day.

So have a merry Christmas while you think about all the valuable data that
will never be archived...

/Morten

--
Morten Kjeldgaard <mok@imsb.au.dk>
Department of Molecular Biology, Aarhus University