[ccp4bb]: Xtalview on OS X

BS"D

Dear All,

Several of you wrote to me about the port of Xtalview to OS X; here is a message from Duncan McRee:

Hi,
I have tried repeatedly to post to the ccp4 bulletin board but I cannot.
My messages are rejected. Could you post this for me?
Thanks, Duncan

I have placed an early beta version of a port
of XtalView to the Mac OS X on my web site at Scripps.  The port was kindly
done by George Philips about a year ago and it has some known issues,
mostly due to lack of proper libraries being available at that time,  and a number
of imperfactions in the X servers available, so please don't fault George for his
good deed.

For Xmas, I bought myself an Apple laptop and am busily working on getting
the latest version ported and finding the bugs.  In the meantime you can get
started with the beta (maybe its really alpha...).

http://www.scripps.edu/pub/dem-web/

Please read the README file for further info.

Duncan McRee
San Diego
dmcree@san.rr.com

Please note that I tried Xfit under XDarwin (from the XonX website) which uses either the very primitive twm, or I tried enlightenment, which is more stable than AfterStep. But the black cursor can't be seen in XtalView when you want to try and label something. The X11 from the Apple website uses a rootless server, and so the cursor is visible. Seems to work, but did not test it extensively.

Harry

Harry M. Greenblatt
Research Associate
Dept of Structural Biology harry.greenblatt@weizmann.ac.il
Weizmann Institute of Science Phone: 972-8-934-3625
Rehovot, 76100 Facsimile: 972-8-934-4159
Israel