Re: [ccp4bb]: ccp4 on windows is missing (at least) 2 functions Howto do them?

Hi Sue,

> We are teaching a class this semester in which we'd like the students to
> download coordinates and structure factors from the pdb, calculate a map, and
> inspect the map. Some students will want to change things in the model (do
> easy-type rebuilding.)
>
> The computer lab they're using has windows NT machines. (Putting Linux
> on these machines is, I've been told, not an option.)
>
> I've been trying to work an example using CCP4 (CCP4i) and O on a NT
> machine, but I'm running into two problems.
>
> 1) Conversion of the downloaded cif file to a mtz file. The CCP4
> windows distribution doesn't have cif2mtz (OK, the source code is
> there, but not the binary.) CCP4 does run a cif2mtz server, so I guess
> we could point the students at that server (there are only a dozen of
> 'em), but it'd be nice to be able to do this on the lab machines. Has
> anyone compiled this program (does it work) and have a binary to
> share?

nothing yet. Though would you be allowed to install Cygwin on the lab
machines?

> 2) Map format. We can use astex viewer for looking at the maps. We'd
> like to also let the students who wish to do so play with O. Map
> conversion seems to be a problem. O (NT) doesn't read binary CCP4 maps
> calculated on NT (O crashes). CCP4i (windows) doesn't seem to write O
> maps (the mapman binary, like cif2mtz, isn't there). (I'm hoping that
> O would read the NT calculated maps properly.) The MAPMAN server at
> UPPSALA doesn't do this either. Am I out of luck on this one?

MAPMAN is an uppsala utility(?) - try hassling the uppsala group :)

> Any other suggestions for a building program? AFAIK, xtalview isn't
> available for windows. Am I wrong? When I last looked at Swiss PDB
> (Deep View) a year ago, it had byte-swapping problems with maps
> calculated with CCP4 NT.

You are welcome to use the CCP4 programs which are available online. I
don't think SwissPDB viewer uses CCP4 libs that can cope with the byte/
cross platform problems. I could get a task online that would change the
NT map file into a unix map file. (by running maptona4 twice on the server
which is Linux should do the job?). That would at least let you use Swiss
PDB?

regards
Alun
Alun Ashton,   awa@ccp4.ac.uk    Tel: +44 1925 603528
CCP4,          ccp4@ccp4.ac.uk   Fax: +44 1925 603825
                      http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/
Daresbury Lab,  Daresbury,  Warrington,  UK,  WA4 4AD