Re: [ccp4bb]: Benchmarks, stereo and more

Hello Jeroen,
we have stereo running on a dual athlon MP 1600 with a radeon7500 ( OEM,
64MB ) graphics adapter card using the XIG driver. Initially, we had some
trouble with stereo stability ( crashes on resizing windows etc ), however
this was not specific for stereo applications or XIG driver, e.g. also
Tuxracer without a XIG driver crashed the computer. We had to change
several settings ( AGP speed etc. ). This problem was specific only for
one computer - it did not occur on any Pentium based Workstation ( using
Radeon 7500 or 8500 ). The "slight" instability of dual Athlon MP systems
on Tyan Tiger boards seems to be quite well known, at least I got reports
from people working in movie making and 3D Modelling about it. One other
issue is a bug in the memory handling ( L1/L2 cache prefetching, I guess
it was ) of some Athlon CPU together with quite recent Linux kernels, this
one leads to AGP problems only at high duty. A fix is given on the AMD
webpages ( don't know the location by heart, it was on the problems pages
asssociated with AGP problems ).

However - all problems I ever noticed after corecct installation were
stability problems on this one computer, I have never seen this weird "
half side-by-side half stereo-in-a-window" feature. If you are sure that
everything is installed correctly - are you sure that the graphics adapter
card is o.k. ? ( In 10 purchased new computers we encountered three
damaged graphics cards ! ). If you need more detailed information on
individual settings etc. please do not hesitate to contact us again !

Bye and best regards

Timm

P.S. I forgot to mention that even our problems machine runs now without
problems ( no reports from other users, and I have been using it up to
three days in stereo without any crash ).

                 TIMM MAIER
                           Proteinkristallographie
                           Institut fuer Kristallographie
                           Takustr.6