Re: [ccp4bb]: Stereo, nvidia cards and dual processors computers :it does work

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 20:02, Jeroen Mesters wrote:
> For more benchmarks you can also have a look at
> http://wserv1.dl.ac.uk/CFS/benchmarks/compchem.html
>
> Does anyone besides Harry Greenblat have experience with stereo under linux
> for nvidia cards (there was a problem with the glasses if I remember correctly)?
>
> Stereo works only partly on our dual athlon xp - Ati 8500 (128mb): one side of
> the stereo picture contains both left and right eye picture.... www.xig.com did not
> answer any of my questions but the problem did not occur with a Matrox G450.
> So much for their excellent support.
>
> Who has stereo running properly on a dual processor linux machine? Please inform me about
> your configuration: processor, chip set and graphics card!

We actually have stereo working properly thanks to NVidia quadro2 cards
with NVidia driver v3123.

Our first configuration is a dual processor machine based on MSI 266TD
motherboard (VIA Chipset) and pentium III processors. We are running
Debian GNU/Linux 2.4.18 Woody and we use Xfree4. We do NOT use Xig
expensive drivers.

I don't think stereo really depends on motherboard and processor type as
soon as you take care of compatibility problems.
The most important is the graphic card : it is a NVidia Quadro2 Pro
card. After enabling stereo option in the NVidia driver section of
XF86Config file (see README of NVidia driver), stereo works fine
whatever the stereo mode your program use (Quadbuffered, above/below,
interlaced...)
Stereo on programs like Xtalview, O, Pymol and Turbo does work.
To switch easily between stereo mode and normal mode (by Ctrl-Alt-(+/-))
you just have to add a ModeLine line in your XF86Config file (please
read Joe Krahn's HOWTO for more information :
http://ibiblio.org/gferg/ldp/Stereo-Graphics-HOWTO.txt )

As our graphic card is not "stereo-ready" (only one VGA plug), we use
Nuvision 60GX-NSR and we have no problem.

We also tried to use stereo on single processor computer based on a
pentium3 and Nvidia Quadro2 EX card and it does work fine too on Linux
Mandrake 8.2.

Please notice that Xtalview, Turbo and all programs which do not use
quadbuffered or hardware stereo also work with a Geforce2 card using
quite the same procedure.

Do not hesitate to contact us for some more information.

--
Julie Bernauer
Yeast Structural Genomics