Re: [ccp4bb]: Protein/nucleic acid crystallization

Spermine has been known to facilitate DNA bending and
condensation (refer to article by Tippin DB et al
"Nine polymorphic crystal structures of d(CCGGGCCCGG),
d(CCGGGCCm5CGG), d(Cm5CGGGCCm5CGG) and
d(CCGGGCC(Br)5CGG) in three different conformations:
effects of spermine binding and methylation on the
bending and condensation of A-DNA." J Mol Biol. 1997
Apr 18;267(5):1171-85.).  It's possible that the high
spermine involved in your case is required for crystal
packing instead of competing with protein binding. I
wouldn't worry about it too much at this point unless
your crystal is shown to consist of DNA only by other
biochemical/biophysical methods.
Good luck!

Xin Chen

XIN CHEN