Re: [ccp4bb]: quote 'crystallisation is art, crystallography is science'

Robots are artists in the brute-force way that a monkey hitting
random keys on a typewriter from now until eternity will
eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare (or how
does that quote go?). The critical thing is the robot has to be
enough of an art critic to know when he has produced a masterpiece,
so some human doesn't have to screen all those trays.

Or better- the artist is the one who programs the robot- the
robot is just a glorified paintbrush.

Ed

--
Edward A. Berry, MailStop 3-250
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory

Phone: +1-510-486-4335
Fax: +1-510-486-6059
Jfax +1-510-588-4829 (you send fax, I receive email)
LBNL Emergency status number: 800-445-5830 - Call after "The Big One"
	to see if the lab slid off into the bay.
e-mail: EABerry@lbl.gov
http://www.lbl.gov/LBL-Programs/pbd/xl_research/scientists/BerryE.htm
http://www.lbl.gov/~berry/
http://www.lbl.gov/~berry/berrygroup.html