Re: [ccp4bb]: R32 pseudotranslational symmetry in crystal

Dear Manoj,

How sure are you that the orientation of the second molecule is correct?
If I understand your add correctly, you had one solution in the
rotation search and two in translation search. Does the patterson
confirm this finding? You could try EPMR, just for the fun.

However these Space groups can be tricky and/or twinned.

Yours
(:hristopher

"N.Manoj" wrote:

***  For details on how to be removed from this list visit the  ***
***          CCP4 home page http://www.ccp4.ac.uk         ***

Dear all,
          We have a problem in refining a structure in space group R32.
The data processed to 2.9A with  overall Rmerge of 5%, 98% completeness
and redundancy of 5. AMoRe gave clear solutions for the two expected
molecules in the asymmetric unit. The packing looked good,  but the
structure could not be refined below 45% R-factor. Electron density for
one monomer is good while it is very poor for the other monomer.
The two molecules are identical (same rotation function values) in
orientation and are translated by almost 1/2 along the Z axis. I would
like to know if there is some way of going about refining this
structure.
I remember some discussion about refinement of structures with  pseudo
translational symmetry in the ccp4 BB some time back.

Thanks in advance
manoj

--
Dr. Christopher Lehmann

Center for Advanced             fon:    ++(301)-738-6126
Research in Biotechnology       fax:    ++(301)-738-6255
9600 Gudelsky Drive             e-mail: lehmann@umbi.umd.edu
Rockville, MD 20850, USA

web: http://www.geocities.com/dr_christopher_lehmann/