[ccp4bb]: bulk solvent corrected fo-fc map [continued...]

I've continued to try to solve the Fo-Fc problems with refmac5.  Here
is an update:

The bulk solvent corrected maps in created by fft in xfit from Fo and
Fc are extremely nice, as you can see at:

	http://raven.bioc.cam.ac.uk/~mdepristo/refmac/xfit-fo-fc.jpg

It is unambiguous which atoms are incorrectly placed in this map.  The
MTZ file was converted using the following commands:

mtz2various hklin refine-0-12.mtz hklout refine-0-12.phs << eof
LABIN FP=FP FC=FC PHIB=PHIC
OUTPUT USER '(3I4,x,F7.2,3x,F7.2,3x,F7.2)'
END
eof

which dumps the H K L FP FC PHIC.  The phs file is available at:

	http://raven.bioc.cam.ac.uk/~mdepristo/refmac/refine-0-12.phs

However, the ccp4 fft version of Fo-Fc produced with DELFWT, PHDELFWT
is clearly not as nice:

	http://raven.bioc.cam.ac.uk/~mdepristo/refmac/refmac-fo-fc.jpg

This map was generated with ccp4i's interface to fft, using a simple
map with F1=DELFWT and PHI=PHDELFWT, as you can see at:

	http://raven.bioc.cam.ac.uk/~mdepristo/refmac/ccp4i-fft-fo-fc.jpg

then converted to fsfour format with map2fs.  The MTZ was produced by
refmac5 (version 5.1.24) with the bulk solvent correct enabled with
default values.  The refinement log is:

	http://raven.bioc.cam.ac.uk/~mdepristo/refmac/refine-0-12.log

and the produced MTZ is:

	http://raven.bioc.cam.ac.uk/~mdepristo/refmac/refine-0-12.mtz

and the output PDB file:

	http://raven.bioc.cam.ac.uk/~mdepristo/refmac/refine-0-12.pdb

I've tried several suggestions from CCP4bb readers:

	(1) I've done the fft of the DELFWT, PHDELFWT directly in xfit, and
the resulting map is of poor quality.  This suggests that the poor map
quality is caused directly by the DELFWT, PHDELFWT values output by
refmac5, and not some strange effect of ccp4's fft.

	(2) Ian tickle tells me that refmac 5.1.29 produces much better maps,
but I've been unable to download refmac (the refmac ftp site is empty).

	(3) The 2Fo - Fc map created using FWT and PHFWT is also poor.

	(4) The ccp4 fft of Fo - Fc directly (not with DELFWT) produces a map
much nicer than DELFWT/PHDELFWT, but worse than the bulk solvent
corrected xfit map.

		http://raven.bioc.cam.ac.uk/~mdepristo/refmac/fft-fo-fc.jpg

I've concluded that the Fo and Fc values produced by refmac are fine,
as the xfit fo-fc map is very nice and the fft fo-fc is ok but lacks
the solvent correction of xfit.  Something is going horribly wrong with
the refmac DELFWT, FWT and PHDELFWT, PHFWT calculations.  Perhaps I'm
not calculating the map correctly from DELFWT, but I think I'm doing it
correctly.

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

Mark

Mark DePristo