[ccp4bb]: CCP4 is refunded

Dear Colleagues
			You will pleased to know that CCP4 will continue to
exist.
If you do not know CCP4 is funded at its core by a 5 year BBSRC grant.

http://www.bbsrc.ac.uk/funding/news/sbawards_com.html

Search for naismith on page

CCP4 can only survive if people continue to use and cite it. It makes a very
persuasive case when we can quote citations and users of the BB.

Of course CCP4 is only as good as it programs. Please continue to donate
programs to the suite. This is essential for our future.

The new grant allows CCP4 to perform work on automated methods and analysis of
structures.

CCP4 does not a make a profit. Industrial licences pay for more development and
meetings / workshops / symposia. Industrial income is essential to our work,
they pay their £6K per site fee because the software is good. The only people
paid by CCP4 are those who write software and Maeri Howard-Eales who deals with
invoices and administration.

In some ways CCP4 is an outdated model. Nowadays pressure would force it be
completely commercial with Universities arguing over IP. So we are lucky it all
began before all these pressures came to the fore.

I hope you all feel part of the CCP4 community. CCP4 is about working together
and sharing ideas to benefit us as individuals. I think CCP4 has been entirely
beneficial to our community, but it needs your support.

Best
Jim

Chair of CCP4