Re: [ccp4bb]: What has been will be again,what has been done will be

What I find worrying is that those of us who are committed to the scientific
method and refuse to have our work patented may eventually be forced out of
science.

If other build on our work, but patent theirs so we cannot in turn build
further, then we are eventually excluded from the field.

The easy thing is to give in and join the patent rat race. The hard thing is
to make the stand.

But I would encourage everyone to make that stand. We can start be including
an intellectual propert statement in every publication, stating that we have
not applied for and do not intend to apply for any patents on the work in the
paper.

Eventually, if the situation deteriorates, we might consider asking journals
not to publish patented material. Such publication is redundent, since (a)
the patent is a sufficient form of publication in itself, and (b) the
material is of no use to the borader community anyway.

The ideas in Buccaneer and Pirate are patentable (although still
insufficiently tested for publication), but will not be patented.

--
Structural Biology Laboratory, University of York, York, YO10 5YW, UK