From: owner-ccp4bb@dl.ac.uk [mailto:owner-ccp4bb@dl.ac.uk]On Behalf Of
M.D.Winn
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 11:02
To: ccp4bb@dl.ac.uk
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb]: What has been will be again,what has been done
will be (fwd)

Look at Lachlan Cranswick's list for interesting reading:

http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/maths/software-patents/crystallography_patents.html

Titles include:

Method for determining parameters of a unit cell of a crystal structure
using diffraction
Computer-aided chemical illustration system
Incremental macromolecule construction methods
High-resolution crystallographic modelling of a macromolecule
Process for pan-genomic determination of macromolecular atomic structures

and many, many more. Although I'm sure many of these are
merely pre-emptive patent applications.

> Wonderful. So who goes ahead and patents the hanging drop method? :-)
> And may be also how to inspect crystals under the microscope ....
> Jan
>

> "Dunten, Pete {IVDU~Palo Alto}" wrote:
> >
> > ***  For details on how to be removed from this list visit the  ***
> > ***          CCP4 home page http://www.ccp4.ac.uk         ***
> >
> > An interesting patent application has recently been published
(US20030049678 A1).  The beginning of the claims section is below, another
fine example of Abbott innovation.

> > We claim:
> > 1. A process for identifying a ligand to a target biomolecule
comprising, a) obtaining a target biomolecule crystal; b) exposing the
target biomolecule crystal to one or more test samples; and c) obtaining an
X-ray crystal diffraction pattern to determine whether a ligand/receptor
complex is formed.
> > 2. The process according to claim 1 further comprising the steps of
obtaining an X-ray crystal diffraction pattern of the target biomolecule
crystal prior to exposure to the test samples and comparing the X-ray
diffraction pattern of the target molecule before and after the exposure.
> > 3. The process according to claim 1 further comprising the step of
transforming diffraction pattern into an electron density map.
> > 4. The process according to claim 3 further comprising the step of
converting electron density map into a structure.
> > 5. The process according to claim 1, wherein the target biomolecule is
exposed to a test sample by soaking the target biomolecule crystal in a
solution that contains the test sample.

> --
> Jan Dohnalek
> York Structural Biology Laboratory
> Department of Chemistry
> York
> YO105YW
>
> E-mail: jd23@york.ac.uk
> Phone: +44 1904 328270  Fax: +44 1904 328266
>
> (Institute of Macromolecular Chemistry, Academy of Sciences
> of the Czech Republic, Prague, Czech Republic)

*                  Dr. Martyn Winn                                       *
*      Daresbury Laboratory, Daresbury, Warrington, WA4 4AD, ENGLAND     *
*      Tel: +44 1925 603455    E-mail: m.d.winn@ccp4.ac.uk (personal)    *
*      Fax: +44 1925 603825    E-mail: ccp4@ccp4.ac.uk  (CCP4 problems)  *
*          URL: http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/martyn/martyn.html                 *