Re: [ccp4bb]: Protein-DNA complex

Tricky one ... you should also consider the possibility that the
crystals are uncomplexed DNA - duplexes in the 10-13 base-pair range
crystallise depressingly easily (not depressing if you are a DNA
crystallographer of course). IZIT dye doesn't help here as DNA-also
crystals are also stained. Do  unit-cell volume calculations give no
clues as to probable a.u. content ?

If crystals are big enough/plentiful you could fish some out, wash
thoroughly and run them into a non-denaturing gel, and stain it with
ethidium bromide - this binds dsDNA. You can also stain the same gel
with Coomassie to visualise the protein. Alternatively try and image the
gel from the fluoresence of your built-in fluorophore. If you have lots
of crystals and/or they are really big, you could look at the UV
spectrum of the dissolved crystals and measure the 260nm/280nm ratio.

Have fun ....

Elias J. Fernandez wrote:

>***  For details on how to be removed from this list visit the  ***
>***          CCP4 home page http://www.ccp4.ac.uk         ***
>
>Folks,
>
>Is there a clever way to tell if our crystals are complexed protein:DNA
>versus unbound protein, without having to wait until we have maps? We have a
>fluorophore attached to the DNA fragment.
>

>Elias J. Fernandez, PhD
>Assistant Professor
>University of Tennessee
>Biochemistry, Cellular and Molecular Biology
>Knoxville, TN 37996-0840
>Tel. No. 865-974-4090
>Fax. No. 865-974-6306
>e-mail: elias.fernandez@utk.edu

  Laurence H. Pearl

  Section of Structural Biology, Institute of Cancer Research
  Chester Beatty Laboratories,  237 Fulham Road
  London SW3 6JB, UK

  Phone +44-207-970 6045 : Secretary +44-207-970 6046
  FAX   +44-207-970 6051 : E-Mail l.pearl@icr.ac.uk
  " Live Simply and do Serious Things .. " - Dorothy Crowfoot Hodgkin