Re: [ccp4bb]: scaling high resolution to very low resolution data

Dear Juergen,

assuming that both data sets were collected from the same crystal and the low
resolution data set was measured after the high resolution data set, I would
simply apply an overall scale factor without any B-factors, because a
B-factor for the overlapping range 6-4.5 A wouldn't make much sense (in my
opinion) and radiation damage usually results in a decay of S/N in the high
resolution range. I would also recommend to do scaling and merging on
intensities and calculate Fs from the merged data set.

Anyway, good luck!

Dirk.

On Friday 28 March 2003 15:48, Juergen J. Mueller wrote:

> Dear all,
> I would like to merge a high resolution dataset (15-2.05 A) and a very
> low
> dataset (110-6 A). Both have been evaluated with different programs
> and now we have mtz-files with f's.Wilson scaling will fail, because the
> low resolution data are beyond 4.5A. FHSCALE results in scaled data
> within the overlapping region only. SCALA ended up (after generation of
> multi-record MTZ files from normal mtz-files) with strange results (may
> be due to wrong parameter settings: Scaling protocol constant,B-factor
> isotropic).What is the recommended method?
> Pierre Dubois had the same problem in 2000 but I did not
> find any answer in the ccp4bb-FAQ's.
> Thanks,
> Juergen

Dirk Kostrewa