Re: [ccp4bb]: DVD archving - thanks

hi there -

Sorry to be boring, but I want to make the comment I made 1.5 years ago
or so
on the same subject: Although DVDs seem to be very handy for writing and
reading and compatibility issues are being sorted out slowly, from what
you can read
in any DVD-R disk that you buy:

the data are guaranteed for 1 year.

Also, our experience toasting DVD-R in Mac-burners is that we get 1-2
verification errors per disk.

Our new backup choice for 'home' and 'image' data, if anybody is
interested, for a 'medium' lab scale (20-25 people)
is a DDS4 + autoloader and software from Arkeia (OSF1,Irix, Linux, OSX,
Vindoz clients). Scheduling allows
tapes to be dedicated to 'images only' (with infinite recycling time)
or 'home dir only' (with 2 months recycling ..)
  For synchrotron data Firewire disks worked great at ESRF last time.
Not sure if other synchrotrons have firewire
support, i hope they do. the idea i sthen to restore to local disks,
backup will happen automatically via the
scheduling software and DAT tapes are guaranteed for years.

Tassos

PS Our DVD writers are well used, but mostly for backing up
non-crystallographic image
data (mostly 25 fps) in MPEG format ...