RE: [o-info] Re: [ccp4bb]: [SUMMARY]: Problems with PDB entry 1muo

Wow, heated debate! I like that!

Unfortunately for the Academic community, an increasing number of structures
is being done in Industry, and probably the most interesting (read
commercially interesting) ones will never be published, as a matter of fact
I myself do structures that remain undisclosed. You can never force the
crystallographic community as a whole to deposit all their data. Having said
this, of course the published structures should also be available to the
scientific community, but crystallographic data in this respect is no
different than data on gene sequences, expression constructs etc. It is the
responsibility of every individual journal that data which is published is
also reproducible and verifiable. The PDB cannot force journal editors to
force authors to submit their data upon submitting a manuscript, although I
would applaud the editors that do request all info. We could, as peer
reviewers, refuse structure papers when we cannot verify claims due to lack
of data, this would probably be the best way to go about this.

Flip