[ccp4bb]: Re: [SUMMARY]: Problems with PDB entry 1muo

Dear Flip,

I  have especially  appreciated your  message  for your  views and  your
sincerity.   You're  right in  saying  that  you  cannot force  all  the
crystallographic   community  to   deposit  all   their  data   all  the
time...  (you can continue  with Lincoln's quote paraphrasis) However, I
think your position is inconsistent, I will try to explain why.

Whereas I  don't beleive myself being  the master of the  truth (I don't
believe either in  one truth but in  many) and I cannot be  the judge of
everybody  else without  knowing why  they do  what they  do, I  have to
respectfully say  that I wouldn't do  the kind of work  you're doing. By
principles,  I think  that science  should be  about  collaboration, not
competition, as I  think that research (and very  especially research on
health or other  socially related issues) should be  guided by their own
aims (knowledge, social  service) and not by profit  or politics. Having
said so,  I want to  point out that  there is very little  research done
from  the scratch,  i.e.  without  use of  previous  knowledge. This  is
certainly  the case in  our field.  So, your  results, our  results, are
based in previous public results  (and publicly founded I would add). If
we  commit ourselfs with  the profit  demands of  industry and  keep our
results, particularly the most relevant, secret, our research would only
advance by bying  or spying someone else results...  Of course, industry
doesn't need so, because publicly  founded research is still producing a
huge wealth of interesting science.

This is the inconsistence: if you  accept secrecy as a valid policy, you
can hardly ask others to release their data.

No  need to  say, you  may reject  my principles.  But let  me  give one
example. The WHO is announcing today (Africa Malaria Day):

http://www.rbm.who.int/cmc_upload/0/000/015/367/RBMInfosheet_6.htm

that over one million children (75% of them African children less than 5
years old) dies every year of malaria (that is: ~3000 a day).

This is  a big failure of  our so proud-of-itself system.   Not only for
industry  (which neglects  non-profitable illness)  but also  for public
research, in which case,  the pressure for "applicability" translates in
higher  competitiveness and  in giving  in to  industry. I  know there's
people working indeed  in malaria, tuberculosis, etc. I  have friends on
it. But,  are their  means adequate?  For  example, why the  final drugs
must be  produced by companies?  I  can't accept the  argument that says
"governments can't  afford the costs  of this".  First,  governments can
afford this, more easily as the  big states afford the waste of money in
arms and so-called "legal" or  "illegal wars".  Governments can and have
a moral  case to raise  money for public  health.  Second, the  costs of
drug   developpment  are   inflated  by   publicity/lobbying   that  the
governments wouldn't need.

To the final par of your message, I agree.

Respectfully and sincerely,

Miguel

Flip Hoedemaeker <flip@keydp.com>, 24/04/2003:

~~~~~~~~~