Re: program unframe

xv (one of the unsupported programs supplied by SGI) can do that with
the autocrop option.

xv is available in virtually any Unix platform and downloadable from the web.
It is not in SGI distributions though as far as I know.
http://www.trilon.com/xv/xv.html

ipaste is a simple SGI program which can also be used.

For more sophisticated applications, however, look at

Image Magick
http://www.wizards.dupont.com/cristy/ImageMagick.html

and for even more, get from most Linux distributions or download:

The Gimp
http://www.gimp.org/

I hope this small survey might be usefull ... Would be good to
have some more hints for good graphics software posted ... (Morten ?)

        Tasos