Solvent corrections - a bit more history

As a contribution to the recent discussions on solvent correction,
these arguments are anything but new. I published a mask-based
correction for myoglobin in in JMB 142, 531-554, 1980 which referred
back to a Babinet type approach published by Fraser et al (1978).
Interesting old papers by Bragg and Perutz allude to this issue too
with a nice one in 1952. Other corrections had been made by Bob Stroud
for trypsin in the same era.

 Dirk Kostrewa's article in the CCP4 newsletter unfortunately fails to
refer to any of this previous work, which is correctly referenced in
some, but not all, of the various refinement programs documentation.

Simon Phillips

|  Simon E.V. Phillips     |       E-mail: sevp@bmb.leeds.ac.uk            |
|  School of Biochemistry  |       or s.e.v.phillips@leeds.ac.uk           |
|  & Molecular Biology     |       Tel:   +44 (0)113 233 3027 (direct)     |
|  University of LEEDS     |              +44 (0)113 233 3122 (sec)        |
|  LEEDS LS2 9JT           |       Fax:   +44 (0)113 233 1407              |
|  United Kingdom          |   http://www.smb.leeds.ac.uk/wwwsb/simon.html |