Re: [ccp4bb]: Linux tape backup

swatkins wrote:

> I have had some success with CD-R's, by zipping everything on the Unix
> machines, and FTPing the files to a PC.  With a fast 40X CDROM, the
> process is relativly quick.  Files however have to be opened first on a
> PC then FTP'd back to the UNIX machines.  The advantage is that 50
> CD-R's are $30 US for 50, which means you can double up on everything.
> I woundered if anyone else was using something similar, as I have had no
> problems, but would like to hear if anyone else has tried this.
>
> Stephan Watkins

CD-R's (and CD-RW's) are perfect for all other kinds of data except
our raw CCD images which run 6GB/data set. This would be a
stack of 10 CD's (not too bad I guess). Currently I ftp data over to
a Mac and burn the CD's there. One nice thing I've found is that Linux
reads Mac HFS format CD's without any trouble.

Richard