Re: [ccp4bb]: REFMAC5 and haem (fwd)

thanks for the responses to my question about refining a haem in REFMAC5.
i am up and running now.

to review:
1) atom names.  the library haem uses " NA ", the library MHM uses
" N_A" and the PDB standard for haem is " N A"
i changed to " NA " and it still didn't run.

i may experiment to see if i can make the program accept "FE+3" in place
of "FE  ". i like to use 4 letter atom names for metals to force certain
old creaky programs to respect column assignments.

2) MAKE CHECK 0
this seemed to do the trick!

3) why was it trying to match to MHM?
not completely sure, other than the names of the nitrogens it appears to
have the same atom layout as haem, although i think it may differ in bond
order.
its library header says:
MHM '[7,12-DIETHYL-3,8,13,17-TETRAMETHYL-21H,23H-PORPHINE-2,18-D' non-polymer M
i didn't want to go that route because real haem (Fe protoporphyrin
IX)  has vinyl instead of ethyl groups. not sure what other differences
might have popped up.
perhaps the lack of hydrogens prevented a match to the haem entry.

4) libcheck
looks useful, i will make a note of it.

thanks much,

"Politicians can survive sex scandals or fiscal mismanagement,
but they cannot survive being laughed at."  - Robert Park
                        David J. Schuller
                        modern man in a post-modern world
                        University of California-Irvine
                        schuller@uci.edu