Re: [ccp4bb]: digital imaging of crystals

On Fri, 11 May 2001, david lawson (JIC) wrote:

> I would like to purchase a system to record images of crystals
> electronically. If anyone has come up with a relatively cheap method of
> doing this, I would be grateful if they could share their experiences. I
> guess the cheapest way is to stick a digital camera on your microscope - we
> already have the adaptor for a regular SLR camera. However, I would also
> like to hear about other, perhaps more sophisticated solutions.

Much cheaper (in terms of capital expenditure) and higher quality than a
digital camera would be a flat-bed scanner (no need to spend more than 50
- 100 GBP; if you want to scan 35mm slides as well you can buy an adaptor
for many scanners for an extra 30 - 50 GBP) and continue using your SLR.
Of course, you'd still have the running costs of film, and delays in
processing etc...

Harry
--
Dr Harry Powell, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, MRC Centre, Hills
Road, Cambridge, CB2 2QH