[ccp4bb]: Re: [ccp4]: CCP4 installation & COMPAQ FORTRAN

Dear David & BB'ers

As Harry suggests, this may be a problem with the local memory settings
- I'm aware of several successful compilations of the whole suite under
v5.0, which also defaults to f90 when "f77" is invoked.

I understand that it is true that you can use the "-old_f77" option, but
in preparing the release of 4.1 we tried to make compilation compatible
with the most up-to-date compilers, as a matter of policy. So if you
have further information about this or similar problems under Tru64 Unix
or other o/s's then please let us know - we are always eager to try and
address these issues.

Finally (although it wouldn't have helped in this case) can I again
remind people about the CCP4 problems page at

http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/problems.html

(for problems specific to 4.1*) and its sibling, the general problems
page, at

http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/problems/general-probs.html

(for non-version-specific problems, or issues relevant to particular
o/s's)

Best wishes

Peter.

On Thu, 10 May 2001, David J. Schuller wrote:

> I tried to install CCP4 4.1.1 on a new Compaq XP1000 running Tru64 Unix v5.1
> with Compaq Fortran Compiler V5.4A-1472-46B2F.  On my first attempt the make
> failed on REFMAC5 with this message:
>
> >make
> f77 -O1 -fpe0 -assume dummy_aliases -nowarn -c -o /usr/local/ccp4_master/ccp4-4.1.1/src/make_lib.o /usr/local/ccp4_master/ccp4-4.1.1/src/refmac5_/make_lib.f
> Fatal:  Insufficient virtual memory to continue compilation.
> *** Exit 1
> Stop.
> *** Exit 1
> Stop.
>
> this was a serious surprise to me, since this machine has 1 GB RAM and 3 GB swap
> space:
>
> > swapon -s
> Swap partition /dev/disk/dsk0b (default swap):
>     Allocated space:       393216 pages (3.00GB)
>     In-use space:               1 pages (  0%)
>     Free space:            393215 pages ( 99%)
>

> Total swap allocation:
>     Allocated space:       393216 pages (3.00GB)
>     Reserved space:         11528 pages (  2%)
>     In-use space:               1 pages (  0%)
>     Available space:       381688 pages ( 97%)
>

> looking over the f77 man page I found this:
>   f77 - invokes the Compaq Fortran 90 (formerly DIGITAL Fortran 90) compiler
>   f77 -old_f77 - invokes the Compaq Fortran 77 (formerly DIGITAL Fortran 77)
>   compiler
>
> this gave me something to try; I cleaned up from the first attempt, did
> setenv FC "f77 -old_f77"
> then started over with configure.
> this time the installation succeeded.
>
> thought this might be of interest both to other users and to the CCP4
> developers. to summarize:
> a) the latest COMPAQ compiler calls f90 when you specify f77
> b) at least one CCP4 program will not compile in this situation
> c) the older f77 can be specifically invoked with "f77 -old_f77"
>

> hmmm, maybe this explains why my CNS installation failed, too...

> "Liberation from superstition is a necessary but not
>  sufficient condition for science." - Carl Sagan
>                         David J. Schuller
>                         modern man in a post-modern world
>                         MacCHESS, Cornell University
>                         djs63@cornell.edu

Peter J Briggs, pjx@ccp4.ac.uk   Tel: +44 1925 603826
CCP4,           ccp4@ccp4.ac.uk  Fax: +44 1925 603825
                http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/
Daresbury Laboratory, Daresbury, Warrington   WA4 4AD