Re: [ccp4bb]: PC 3D hardware

         self-build systems using the QUADRO chip.

I had the SGI Visual Workstation 230 with PIII 733 MHz here for testing a
couple of month ago. It certainly looks nice on your desk but in the end
we bought a self-made PC with similar hardware as SGI puts into their
linux workstations (except that I used the money saved to buy a dual 800
MHz board). As the graphics board I have a ELSA Gloria II which contains
the same graphics chip as the SGI boards.
For reasons I still don't fully understand why, but the O benchmarks
were even faster for the self-build system than for the sgi. Both systems
clearly had hardware- (and driver-) accelerated OpenGL. The additional CPU
should be no issue here since the benchmark uses only one CPU. Since both
PCs contain the same graphics chip (the NVidia Quadro) I think it may be
due to a newer Nvidia driver at that time I received the PC. (with the sgi
you could only use what they offered on their homepage).

However, I doubt that the additional design sgi has put into their PC
graphics boards is of any use with O. Anyway, the speed is more than
sufficient for most of your demands and it does beat the Max impact boards
which we have in R10000 195 MHz Indigo2s and 170 MHz SI Octanes. The
graphics quality (line quality) is still somewhat nicer on the sgi MIPS
workstations, I think.

The PC runs very stable. I also sleep well :-).

Best regards,

 Norbert