[ccp4bb]: PC 3D hardware

Hi,

triangles are of no great use at all. It's the OpenGl you will need the
most. For all of you that want to read up on this check out the
very usefull site of http://www4.tomshardware.com. You will
find several tests of true OpenGL versus nVidia cards.....
http://www4.tomshardware.com/graphic/00q4/001213/index.html
Cards build for games that hardly use OpenGl can have
40 million triangles, but an OpenGl card with only 4 million
triangles will always be on top, sorry!

It is not for nothing that SGI introduced a subgraphics layer between
the NVIDIA cards and the PC in order to deal with OpenGl called
"OpenGl on a chip". Have a look at there linux machines. With the
rebate you can get, the price is not so bad at all....

In addition, the very best graphics cards donot mean nothing with the
very best driver supporting it!! NVIDIA has a one for all driver for
all of their new cards under linux meaning you will loose performance
here. The same is true for the PC itself, you better make sure it is
linux certified in order to avoid problems later.

As you can see, the matter is complicated and difficult. For now,
our lab still buys SGI and I sleep well knowing they function
without any problems concerning the graphics....

Jeroen
--
Jeroen Raymundus Mesters, Ph.D.                           Alias Geronimo
Dept. of Structural Biology and Crystallography,  Institute of Molecular